Thursday, February 4, 2016

Review: Maybelline Vivid Matte Liquid in Berry Boost

Hello again Lippie Lovers. Today I have a "New" attempt at a liquid lipstick at the drugstore. Let's see how they did!


The Breakdown:

Price: $6.99
Contains: 0.26 ounces
Scent: Perfume Flowers??
Available: Online and at Most Drugstores













Part One: Packaging

So the packaging is simply good for a drugstore, nothing special, but nothing horrible either. A sleek square tube that shows the color of the product. The part of the packaging that I don't care for is the applicator. It is sort of a flattened paddle type of applicator and while it's great for packing on the color, it's not so great for getting within the line of your lips, hitting that cupid's bow without getting product all over the place. It takes a very steady hand to apply with this applicator. Due to that I'll give the packaging 4 out of 5.




Part Two: Color

As far as the color goes, I really don't have anything bad to say about this shade. The name may be a little deceiving as it's called Berry Boost, but it is a very bright and vibrant pink shade without much berry-ness to it. The color was not patchy and very true to the tube upon application. I'll give the color a 5 out of 5.


Lipstick at time of application. See the shine that never went away.


Part Three: Formula

Pretty good numbers for far right? Well, I hate to be the one to burst your bubble, but that's where the good news ends. If someone had given me this product and said, this is a long lasting lips gloss, I would probably have a much higher review for it. But, the tube says very clearly that thsi is a Matte Liquid. I don't know if maybe they didn't quite understand what the term matte means, but I'm honestly not sure how this was even approved to go on shelves. It is glossy upon application, and it stays glossy. It never dries down to a matte, ever. It feels creamy on the lips from the beginning to the end, which may not be a bad thing normally, but when a product spouts off that it is a long lasting (though they never state how long it should last) matte product, and I buy it, that is what I expect to get.

That's not really even the worst part. The smell, oh my god the smell. It smells like they tried to mask the scent of the chemicals with their grandmother's perfume. It smells so strongly of a floral scent that you can taste it as it goes on your lips, and then your lips go numb for about ten minutes. When I first put it on, I had such high hopes for it that I could completely overlook the smell, and the taste, and the non-matte formula but then it bled and feathered like nobodies business making my lips, at 33 years old (non smoker) look like I was a 60 year old that had chained smoked her entire life. It created lines around my mouth that previously never existed.

The last piece that I didn't like is the stain it leaves behind. Now, I enjoy a good stain that will make the lipstick last longer, but this stuff stained my lips so bad that after scrubbing it off, exfoliating my lips, and sleeping all night, my lips still looked vibrantly pink in the morning. I could have put on a clear gloss and looked like I was wearing lipstick. Formula gets a 1 out of 5.


My stained lips when I got home. No product is left on my lips, just a stain.


Final Verdict:

Wow, so even the great color could not redeem this lipstick, and for the first time in my life I am rating a lipstick with only...

1 out of 5 Lippies.

I've never returned a lipstick, but I think I might return this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment